Friday, February 15, 2013

Card Design: Scribbles Designs Challenge #2--Shades of Red

It is time for the next challenge over at the Scribbles Designs Challenge Blog.

This month we are looking for projects with Shades of Red.  So show us your designs covering the spectrum of the colour red.   
 Red is the color of fire and blood and it is associated with energy, war, danger, strength, power, determination as well as passion, desire, and love.  Light red is known to represent joy, sexuality, passion, sensitivity, and love.   Pink signifies romance, love, and friendship. It denotes feminine qualities and passiveness.  Dark red is connected with vigor, willpower, rage, anger, leadership, courage, longing, malice, and wrath.  Reddish-brown is associated with harvest and fall (Author Unknown. (2002-2013). Color Meaning. Available: http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html. Last accessed 13th February 2013.).
So what will you come up with and will your project have any significant meaning?  It doesn't have to have any particular association with the meaning of the colour, I just thought it might be interesting to share with all of you what the different shades of the colour mean.

Don't forget that in order to qualify you MUST use a Scribbles Designs image, following the theme of the challenge. You can enter as many times as you'd like and you are welcome to combine your entry with other challenges.  However, we ask that you enter new projects/cards only - no back linking.  This challenge will end at 9pm PST on March 14th.

The winner, chosen by Random.org will receive 3 digital images.  Additionally, there will be 1 digital image handed out for each of the Top 3, chosen by the Scribbles Designs Design Team.  We look forward to seeing your interpretation of this month's theme. 

You can purchase your Scribbles Designs images HERE.
You can also find some free sentiments from Sandy's personal blog HERE.
 

To help inspire you, here is a card I created using one of Sandy's great free images that was available during the last four weeks on the challenge blog.  The sentiment I used on the inside is available at the store HERE.
 
Here is the front of the card... 

 Here is the inside...


 With a closer look at the right hand side...

  
Here are the card details, I hope I haven't forgotten anything...

General Notes:
 
  • As it turns out, the colour meanings seem to have little bearing on the project I created.  It is a bit of a stretch, but I did use reddish-brown and since it is associated with harvest and I have flowers, maybe there is a connection there?  I did say it was a stretch!
  • This is a long overdue card to say thank you to one of my husband's colleagues and her husband for a Christmas present they gave us.  I did say long overdue!
Digital Image:
  • Flower Pot:  The image on the front of the card is Sandy's flower pot image and is currently available HERE as a freebie.  I love the versatility of this image as it can be used on a wide range of projects.  It was mostly coloured using Copic markers.  Flowers:  R11, R14, R17, R20, R22, R24, R29 (petals); YG61, YG63, YG67 (leaves & stems).  Flowerpot:  E31, E33, E37.  Dirt:  E37, E39.  GroundingB00 (around plant and pot); grey and black watercolour pencils (ground).
Digital Sentiment:
  • Thanks a Bunch:  The sentiment I used on the inside is available at the store HERE.  I really like how this sentiment also has a floral image attached to it.  It really helped to bring the whole card together.  It was coloured using Copic markers: R20, R22, R24.
Paper Products:
  • Card base: Michael's Recollection's Cardstock, cream coloured.
  • Designer Papers:  Floral paper (front & inside)--K & C Company Designer Paper--Warm colours collection.  Brown & cream dotted (front)-- Recollection's Mosaic Memories Paper Pad.  Dark red (shadow & inside)--Michael's open stock scrapbook paper.  
Ribbon:
  • Crafts brand 30 mm ribbon that I've folded over partially--from Dollarama.
Embellishments:
  •  Red brads--from Dollarama.
 Challenges I hope to enter include:

So find that stash of red paper and haul out all your red markers.  Remember you have an entire month to enter at the Scribbles Designs Challenge Blog.  While you are there, please check out the great inspiration offered up from my colleagues on the DT.  We look forward to seeing your interpretation of our theme!   
Thank you so much for stopping by.  As I've now added to my comment section, whether you are a regular, here for the first time or popping over in your official capacity as a DT member, please know how much I appreciate the words that you leave behind.  Your encouragement helps me to become a better designer.   I try my best to reply to your comments (when an email address is available) but that is getting more and more difficult as my plate fills up with new responsibilities, new roles, and new obligations.  If I don't get the opportunity to thank you personally, know that I don't take a single comment for granted. Thank you for your understanding.

Until next time,

  
Note: I apologize if there are any formatting issues.  This is a scheduled post and we all know Blogger has a mind of it's own.  If it turns out that something looks wonky, i.e.--part of the sentence a different size than the rest, I'll fix it as soon as I'm able to.


12 comments:

ike said...

Oh, that's just lovely and perfect on the inside too :-). I snagged that little freebie too but haven't used it yet... looks like my chance now :-D
I used one of your WordArts on my Valentine card (on the Bloggie now) Thank you xxxx

Borqna said...

Excellent!
I love your card!
Success!

Creations by Shirl said...

Very pretty Lisa~ love the colouring and your pretty background papers...
Enjoy your crafty day and weekend ahead!

Dawn @ LilyPinkScraps said...

Lovely card with the warmth of the red showing so nicely and I love the coordinated inside too - gorgeous!

Sandy S said...

Lisa.... stunning card! I love the colors and all of it! It works perfectly together...

Hugs,
Sandy

Priscilla said...

What great coloring on your image and love the bg paper. What a pleasure to visit your blog .Thank you so much for playing the cdac challenges. Can't wait to see what you will come up with for the other challenges going on. Remember you can enter as many times as you like till March 31st. Happy crafting.
Priscilla

Unknown said...

Lisa,
I love what you did with that digi. It has became the focal point in a beautiful card.
We love that you have taken time to share your wonderful work with us at Word Art Wednesday.
Carole Robb Bisson
The Blessing of the LORD be Upon You!

Shirley-Anne said...

Beautiful floral image set on pretty background paper and love the inside too .Thanks , Lisa , for sharing on Make it Monday .
Shirley-Anne

Jennifer said...

This is really lovely Lisa! This little flower pot is so wonderful for most any occasion! Beautiful paper combo to!
I hope you're having a wonderful weekend!

Cely said...

Awesome card!!! As for the sentiment on mine, nope, it isn't mine! I actually had a hard time finding something to fit the truck so i started googling "thousand hearts, hundred hearts, etc." and found this saying as an inspirational meme with an unknown author. :)

Unknown said...

Cute Lisa very cute!

Unknown said...

Lisa, another gorgeous card! Love the paper colors you used and the image is very pretty! You always do such nice work I know your husbands colleagues will love this card.
~Deb~
CDAC DT Member
A Look Through My Eyes